I saw this quote in a magazine recently, and it immediately caught my eye because of its simple truth.
We all have the big things in our lives that bring us happiness, like our career or a major accomplishment we've achieved, like finishing a degree or running a 5k or losing x pounds.
But what happens when we only remember the big things?
What happens to the little moments, perhaps seemingly insignificant at the time, but those that, when you stop to think about them, make you smile?
What are the continuous small treats in your life?
For me, they come in all directions and at times.
Here's just a sampling:
- Hearing a song on the radio that reminds me of that time when . . .
- Chocolate . . . 'nuff said.
- Time "in the nook" under my husband's arm, snuggled in on the couch.
- My Keurig, which makes the loveliest cup of coffee in the whole world. Well, in my zip code anyway.
In my house, anyway.
- The privilege of having friends with whom I can reconnect, as if no time has passed between visits.
- The victory of remembering how to say something correctly in Spanish that I may have not remembered how to say the day before.
- Exploring the travel section of the bookstore with my husband, feeding our mutual wanderlust, and planning our next big adventure.
- The excitement, pride, and love I feel with my niece.
- Nailing an especially tough workout with my trainer at the gym.
- The look in my students' eyes when they "get" it.
- The nights I get to visit with my mom and dad "just because."
- The pleasure of dinner time with my husband, and reconnecting after our day apart.
- The excitement of planning and cooking a special meal for my husband, family or friends.
- Holding hands with my husband, our fingers intermingled.
Every day is not full of puppies and rainbows. But every day does offer at least one moment that may be a small treat.
If we continue to remember the little things, then it matters not how much time lapses between the big things, because it's the little things that will sustain us.
And when we celebrate the little things every day, despite our daily challenges, we can't help but remember that we have been blessed in so many ways.
I know I have.
What are your favorite small treats?