And it's so pretty!
The best part is, the the ingredients are interchangeable, so you can make it yours. And it's mayonnaise free...perfect for outdoor parties, because cold or room temperature, it's delicious.
From Kelly's Kitchen...Sensational Summer Salad
- 1 box of couscous (plain or flavored) or 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed. (or any beans you like)
- 1 small container of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved. (I tossed mine with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them at 375 for 30 minutes.)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3-4 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta (I used low fat)
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
Cook the couscous or quinoa according to package directions. Set aside or cool.
Combine other ingredients and then mix with the grain.
That's it. Easy, right?
You could probably substitute fresh mint for the basil, or you could use parsley.
You could add lemon zest and some fresh lemon juice.
I had balsamic vinaigrette on the table, just in case we needed it, but we didn't.
You might want to add salt and pepper...your call.
The fruit mixes well with the fresh basil and feta. And the roasted tomatoes add an incredible depth of flavor. So good.
So there you have it. An easy mayonnaise-free summer salad that you can make your own with your own favorite things. It's a keeper.