If you like appetizers, but want some relatively healthy options, here are 10 easy, go-to ideas.
1. Caprese skewers--Skewer a cherry tomato with a mozzarella ball. Add part of a basil leaf and drizzle with a good, aged balsamic vinegar.
3. Shrimp cocktail. Soak in an ice bath "marinade" with a bay leaf, a quartered, squeezed lemon and lime, and a few peppercorns.
4. Hummus and veggies (mix up the hummus...white bean, black bean, traditional...up to you)
5. Roasted, seasoned chickpeas (savory or sweet)
6. Steamed edamame with sea salt
7. Guacamole with baked pita chips and/or veggies. Throw in some nuts for a little texture.
8. Deviled eggs--try mixing in a tiny bit of curry for a full-bodied flavor.
9. Crudite platter--try making your dip with Greek yogurt for extra protein.
10. Or Grinch kabobs...A green grape followed by slice of banana then strawberry and topped with a mini marshmallow, threaded on a toothpick.
Or keep it simple...fruit skewers with a dip of vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with honey and cinnamon.
What are your strategies for healthy eating during the holidays?