Few foods live up to comfort level status more than grilled cheese sandwiches.
When I was growing up, grilled cheese and tomato soup was the lunch of champions and for us, it's a go-to Sunday night supper.
Tip: Save yourself some money...check out the day-old stand at your grocery store. Who needs super-soft bread? You're cooking it anyway.
Sometimes, the classic is best. But, if you want to take it up a notch, experiment with bread types and ingredients like these.
1. Fig preserves and Fontina cheese.
2. Serrano ham with Manchego cheese.
3. Sliced apple, pulled pork, and sharp cheddar cheese.
4. Fat free refried beans (or black bean hummus), grilled chicken, salsa and jalapeño jack cheese.
5. Mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly, turkey, and American cheese.
6. Strawberries, turkey, and creamy goat cheese.
7. Mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, avocado and pesto.
8. Ham, pickles, Provolone cheese and mustard.
9. Tuna salad with tomato and Swiss.
10. Raspberry jam, prosciutto, and Gouda cheese.
Don't forget to mix up the bread...sourdough, rye, French, artisan, potato, white, wheat...it's all good.
What's your favorite flavor combination?