Here we are at the end of June. Already. Every cliche people have about the passing of time is spot-on accurate.
Here is what is happening ahora in my world.
- School is out for the summer! Hooray. I am happy to report that my kiddos did great on their ACCESS exams, a test that measures their proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in English. Since I am an ESL teacher, this is our "high-stakes" test (in addition to the kiddos that also take PARCC).
- I am getting excited to go see my girl in Florida next week. This is such a joyful two weeks; I can't wait to see her and talk with her and just be. I am one lucky auntie.
- It's almost Spain-vacation time, so I've been eagerly researching places to go in Galicia and in other parts of Spain, as well as in Lisbon, where we will be spending three or four days before flying back to the United States.
- I've developed a serious iced-coffee habit. I'm trying to make it at home, but it just doesn't taste the same. The best I have found is the Starbucks unsweetened coffee at my local supermarket; it's still not the same, so more often than not, it's off to Starbucks and Dunks I go.
Thanks for the free coffee, Starbucks.
- Tis the season for returning series, so I've been rationing the new seasons of Grace and Frankie and Orange is the New Black. I also have been catching up on movies I have wanted to watch. Everest was a thrill and a confirmation that climbing this mountain has never and will never be on my bucket-list. I read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air years ago, and I'm fascinated by those who do climb, but I will be content wandering around the foot of Everest, inspired by her majesty with both feet firmly on the bottom. Self awareness is a wonderful thing.
- It's fun playing tourist in Boston.
- Anxiety over the political situation is a real thing. Good grief.
- Who else is enjoying ice cream this summer? We have a small-batch, homemade ice cream place nearby that infuses liquid nitrogen into their processing. It's delicious and this place is known for innovative flavors like hibiscus cabernet, horchata, chipotle mezcal, and fennel pistachio, among the chocolate and vanilla favorites. I recently had orange tarragon, which I topped with candied walnuts...so, so good!
So that's about it for me this month. What's happening ahora in your world?