I didn't realize it last month, but it has been just over a year since I started the Ahora series. It is still fun, thinking about all that is going on each month, but I think it's time for a change.
Still, June is a big month, so no changes this month. Here's what's trending in my word these days.
- My birthday is in June. That's always fun.
- School ends in June.
- Summer begins in June.
- I am visiting my niece in June. Hooray!
- The Opposite of Loneliness...This was an impulse buy while I was wandering through Target with my Mom. I certainly didn't need another book, but I read the back cover and went with it. So far, I'm not loving it, but it's early. Time will tell.
- Grace and Frankie. This new series on Netflix is fabulous. It's funny and honest and direct; I suspect that it captures the reality of their situation. If you have Netflix, this series is worth watching.
I'm traveling to...
- Florida later this month kicks off a summer of travel, in which I will be home for about a week in total until the end of August. It's busy, but it's doing what I love to do most of all.
I'm sad about...
- The ESL position at my school was cut. Schools in the area are seeing serious budgetary issues and mine is no different. My administrators are supportive and gave me incredible feedback, for which I am grateful. I will be looking at other openings in district...hopefully there's a good fit in another building. Still, I'm sad. I had such a great year. I learned so much about teaching ESL and the foundations of reading and sadly, more than I ever wanted about poverty and trauma. I'm a better teacher because of it and I know I will apply what I've learned wherever I am, but still...these kiddos climbed right into my heart. It breaks to think of leaving them.
I'm smiling about...
- Another school year is ending, and all of my students have made incredible gains. They scored well on their district determined post-test, and I am eagerly awaiting their results on the national exam they took in January.
- It's almost native strawberry season. I love fresh strawberries. The Franken-berries from the grocery store fit in a pinch, but nothing compares to the fresh native berries I get from the farm. I eat half a pint in the car on the way home.
And there you have it...this is what's happening Ahora in my world.
Your turn...what is happening in your world these days?