Getting to our healthiest selves is important to us, so I want to do whatever it takes to make the journey more fun.
One way I am pushing outside the box is in finding ways to make comfort food more 21-Day friendly.
I used thinly sliced eggplant instead of pasta in my lasagna. The eggplant was firm enough to hold up to the meat sauce and ricotta.
It turned out better than I expected. We will have this one again.
1 pound ground beef...I used 93% lean and drained the fat before adding sauce.
1 medium onion, diced, minced or julienned
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 container part skim ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
8oz. shredded mozzarella blend cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Italian seasoning to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Brown the ground beef with the onion until the onion is cooked.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and let it simmer while you prep the rest.
- Peel and slice the eggplant. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread some sauce on the bottom of a lasagna-suitable baking dish.
- Add a layer of eggplant, covering the bottom.
- Spread leaves of baby spinach on top of the eggplant.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta and beaten egg.
- Add the ricotta mixture on top of the eggplant and spinach layer.
- Add another eggplant layer.
- Add half of the meat sauce.
- Add another eggplant later.
- Add the rest of the meat sauce.
- Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until the cheese on top has browned.
Have you ever reworked a recipe to make it healthier or more diet-specific, like Paleo or vegan? What did you do? How did it work?