For those of us in Massachusetts, Monday is a holiday. Patriots Day commemorates the anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord at the start of the American Revolution, and for running enthusiasts, it is also the day of the Boston Marathon.
Since my husband and I are both public employees, we are lucky to have this day off, making this weekend a long weekend. And what better way to celebrate than with an extended Date Night and making it a Date Weekend. We're playing tourist in a city we know fairly well...the Big Apple.
If you're looking to love up your own long weekend, here's five easy tips we use:
1. Check Priceline. The ability to bid on a hotel price may intimidate some, but you learn the game and come out a winner. $50 a night for a Marriott just outside the city is not a bad deal. We've used this website many times and luckily, we have never been disappointed.
2. Check discount sites like groupon, living social, goldstar and whofish for things to do in town. Often, you can find deals for tours, restaurants, shows, and museum discounts that might be exactly what you're looking for.
3. Theme it up. We were engaged in Paris. As a result, it becomes fun to reminisce about our time there and sip coffee in Parisian-style bistros. Love Rome? Sip cappuccinos in a local coffee bar. Barcelona your thing? Find a tapas bar and bon provecho!
4. Culture Club. Find a local museum and see what's on exhibit. Attend the local philharmonic. See what's going on in town. New York has scores of options, and smaller cities have much to offer as well.
5. Second Honeymoon. Weekends away are a great time to break from the routine. Let romance rule the day and soak up the love. You'll have to go back to work soon enough. Enjoy the time together just being together.
Our tentative itinerary is set and we can't wait to get away. Spring has sprung and love is in the air (always). Enjoy the weekend and let everything you do come from a place of love and gratitude.