If resolutions aren't your thing, how about a "Word of the Year" to guide your choices? I have seen others do this for the past few years and it's a nice idea. It can be a noun or a verb . . .it's up to you and how you spin it.
After giving it some thought, my word for 2013 is . . .
Over the next year, I want to
- Stretch my body . . . flexibility is a marker of good health.
- Stretch my thinking . . .continue to explore ideas that stretch my understanding of the world and how it works. This will make me a better teacher, a better writer and a more informed consumer.
- Stretch my dollars . . .I want to buy less "stuff" and make a very conscious effort to spend less, use less and live more.
- Stretch my comfort zone . . .challenge myself to try new things and break the rut of the day to day minutia.
- Stretch my palate . . .I want to try to adhere to a more plant-based, non-processed diet. This will push me to experiment with new vegetarian recipes and home-cooked meals . . .a win-win.
- Stretch my boundaries . . . there are always new places to explore, both in the area where I live and around the world.
So that's my idea for 2013. What's yours? Cheers!